Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Tuesday Chewsday

What are you eating around Michiana?
Let me know in the comments below, and share what local dish you had and where.

I had one of my personal favorites at the South Bend Farmer's Market Cafe, Ham and Bean soup.  They make it fresh every Tuesday and serve it with a huge slice of tender cornbread and some chopped white onion upon request.  I know some readers out there may turn their nose up at this, but I can't get enough of it, and apparently other South Bender's can't either.  Time and time again, I see many locals show up for their weekly bowl.

I think that tastes just as good as my mom's recipe (maybe better, but don't tell her that).  In addition to great Ham and Beans, the cafe offers a classic menu of Americana diner food.  They have all of the favorite breakfast dishes, prepared with farm fresh eggs and local produce, as well as an awesome lunch menu, featuring huge burgers made with fresh beef patties.

If you're in Goshen this week, make sure to stop by one of my favorite restaurants in Michiana, Constant Spring.  In addition to their great craft beer list, they have a great menu that is focused on sourcing local ingredients.  As stated on their homepage, "Here at Constant Spring we believe that knowing where our food comes from is very important, especially if we are inviting you to eat it."  

Michiana has some great hidden gems when it comes to dining, and some of them are making sustainability a main dish.  Let's find them, share them here and with the world. 


 

  

1 comment:

  1. I love two places: the China House (right down the road from IU South Bend), and King's Buffet (on Edison Road). They're both Chinese restaurants with great vegetable fried rice. The China House has great tofu soup--and it's inexpensive!

    I frequent the Farmer's Market at least once a week, but I've never been to the restaurant there. It's always packed!

    It would be nice to see more variety in downtown South Bend restaurants.

    ReplyDelete